It’s no secret the Italians are very stylish, so when my Italian father in-law sent me a link to the very stylish http://style.corriere.it/ , I had to share their excellent guide on ties and how to wear them in 10 steps, subtly edited to my tie preferences.
This simple but visually stunning guide provides expert advice to help you make the perfect tie choices. Although the original article was for ten steps, I only found nine. No matter how many tips you find, these will make the perfect foundation when wearing a tie.
1. A tie should not exceed a width of more than 9 cm and never less than 8. The only exception is given by knitted ties, which are certainly more consistent between 6 and 7 cm. Overcoming the 9 cm limit with a normal body size, we risk falling into the trap of excess.
2. Never a length above the waist; In fact, it should be directly proportional to your height. If you wore high-waisted trousers (pants) with braces (suspenders) or waistcoat (vest) to alter the perception of your proportions, your tie should also be proportionately shorter.
3. Shovel rear, the smaller one or tail, should never be too short compared to the big one, namely that front. If this should happen on a regular basis there are two cases: either it is you missed something with the knot, or the tie is too short for you. The same is true when the rear blade far surpasses that front. You get closer to perfection when the two blades reach the same length (or almost) touching the belt.
4. Avoid knots with size close to grapefruit or artichokes. Elegance is in the correct proportions. The proportion, in particular, provides for a differentiation between the dimensional size of the knot and the width of the front face.
Avoid buying ties interiors more like bulletproof vests, Wear them only in those “hot spots” on the planet! Ensure the tie is lighter and is comfortable. This will ensure the tie is comfortable to wear all day.
6. The knot should be tight enough to ensure it does not slip. The knot must adhere perfectly to the collar of his shirt. The knot is like a painting in a frame if it is not centered any artistic talent you possess will be blinded. Terrible scenes are those in which, the knot has dropped, we see even the last closing button of the shirt.
7. Choose your tie colour appropriately. Never tie a clear evening; light colors greet the first rays of sun, intermediate accompany them into the sunset and the darker are the transition between day and night.
8. Never wear the same tie two days in a row; the silk and the interior should be rested: they must return to its former glory. Store your ties correctly, either on a proper tie hanger, or rolled up neatly, but loosely in a drawer.
9. For the Dandy, rules are there to be broken. To him, thanks to his aesthetic genius, everything can be granted, and rules for others can be disregarded.
- Alfie Grasso for finding the article
- John Ceruti for writing the original article